Understanding Tooth Extractions in Melbourne: When and Why They Are Necessary
Does just the mention of a tooth extraction send your insides into panic? Here at Dental + Skin Clinic we strive to preserve your natural pearly whites whenever possible, however in some cases a tooth extraction becomes necessary. Our team of experienced and caring dentists and oral surgeons are dedicated to ensuring the process is as comfortable and stress-free as possible. Here’s why you might need a tooth extraction and what you can expect from the process.
Reasons for tooth removal
There are several common reasons why a tooth may need to be extracted:
- Severe Tooth Decay: When tooth decay reaches an advanced stage and causes extensive damage to the tooth structure, extraction may be necessary to prevent further infection and pain. Dental fillings, crowns and other procedures are no longer an option at this stage.
- Advanced Gum Disease: If gum disease progresses beyond the help of our expert teeth cleaning services, it can cause significant damage to the supporting tissues and bone around a tooth. Extraction may be recommended to maintain oral health.
- Damage or trauma: Whether from a knock or a fall, if damage occurs that cannot be repaired, a tooth extraction is the best option. Emergency dental work will be carried out on the spot.
- Impacted Wisdom Teeth: Wisdom teeth, or third molars, often lack sufficient space to erupt properly. Impacted wisdom teeth can lead to pain, infection, and damage to adjacent teeth, making extraction necessary.
- Preparation for Orthodontic Treatment: In some cases of severe overcrowding, tooth extraction may be necessary to create space for orthodontic treatment, such as braces, to effectively align the teeth.
Before we dive into a tooth extraction, our experience team will take a look at your mouth and ensure all other possible solutions are explored. If teeth extraction is required, we will discuss any concerns or questions you may have about the procedure.
During a tooth extraction, your dentist or oral surgeon will ensure your comfort by using local anesthesia to numb the area. In more complex cases or for anxious patients, additional sedation options may be available. The tooth will be carefully loosened and removed from the socket using specialised instruments. Depending on the complexity of the extraction, the procedure may take anywhere from a few minutes to an hour.
After a tooth extraction, it is normal to experience some swelling, discomfort, and mild bleeding. We will provide you with post-operative instructions, which includes pain management recommendations, avoiding certain foods, and maintaining good oral hygiene practices. It's essential to follow these instructions closely to ensure proper healing. Most people can expect a healing period of about one to two weeks.
Tooth Replacement Options
Depending on the location and function of the extracted tooth, your dentist will discuss suitable tooth replacement options with you. These may include dental implants, bridges, or dentures. It's important to consider tooth replacement to restore your smile, maintain proper oral function, and prevent complications such as shifting teeth or jaw bone loss. Tooth extractions may seem daunting, but with the expertise and personalised care provided by our dental professionals at Dental + Skin Clinic, you can rest assured that your oral health is in good hands. Contact us today to schedule your appointment and receive the dental care you deserve.
Aftercare For the Extraction Site
- Bite down on gauze for 10 minutes to control bleeding
- Apply an ice pack to the cheek for 20 minutes on and 20 minutes off to reduce swelling
- Take prescribed pain medication as directed
- Avoid smoking and drinking through a straw for at least 24 hours
- Avoid hard or crunchy foods for the first 48 hours
- Keep the extraction site clean by gently rinsing with saltwater or as prescribed
- If you have excessive bleeding, severe pain, fever, or other unusual symptoms, contact our office immediately
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Recovery time can vary depending on the complexity of the extraction and your individual healing process. In general, most people can expect the initial healing period to take about one to two weeks. Following post-operative instructions, such as taking prescribed medications and maintaining good oral hygiene, will help promote a smoother recovery.
Yes, there are various options for replacing an extracted tooth, such as dental implants, bridges, or dentures. Our dental team can assess your specific situation and discuss the most suitable tooth replacement options to restore your smile and oral function.
The cost of a tooth extraction can vary depending on the type of anesthesia you use and other factors. You can generally expect the tooth extraction cost in Australia to be anywhere from $300 to $700 per tooth. This includes molar teeth removal and just a general remove tooth cost. You can contact the expert team at Dental + Skin Clinic to find out the tooth extraction price.
Allow yourself a good day or two to rest and not to overly stretch yourself with work or social commitments.
- Eat a soft diet
- Do not use a straw
- Do not smoke
- Use an antibacterial mouthrinse
Talk to the dentist if you smoke as we strongly advise not to smoke for at least 4 days prior to a tooth extraction. Smoking will slow down the healing process.
THINK YOU MIGHT NEED TOOTH EXTRACTION?
Get in contact with Dental + Skin Clinic and step into the smile transformation journey you deserve.